NCAA Road Trip!

Posted on March 24, 2012

I’ve always enjoyed the solitude and freedom that comes from a long road trip. No more so than when my son is my travel companion. Many a time we have had new learning experiences as well as deeper connections as we ventured down new roads. Doing a spontaneous trip always seems to add some extra excitement as well.

So, on Saturday morning, I asked Alex if he would like to drive to Albuquerque, NM to watch the CU Buffaloes play their second game in the NCAA Men’s College Basketball Tournament. “Hell Yes!” was his response and I could feel the excitement and joy of the prospects grow inside of me.

Following a rocket trip down and some fun joking about romantic high school relationships, we were treated to a pregame celebration when we arrived at “The Pit” on the campus of NM University. Already decked out in CU wear, we added to our costumes at the alumni event including a black and gold shamrock for St. Patrick’s Day.

The venue was perfect for college basketball and we found ourselves surrounded by extremely loud CU students. While the outcome of the game was disappointing, we were treated to a back and forth game with lots of screaming and high fives. Most inspiring was the way the fans continued to clap, cheer and sing for ten minutes after the game in honor of how far the team had advanced.

Sunday morning was equally enjoyable as we took the long way home through Santa Fe and the long road up the San Luis Valley. Along the way, we stopped at one of Alex’s favorite restaurants since he was a little boy. Just North of Santa Fe, Gabriel’s offers guacamole made tableside and served up in a volcanic bowl.

On a fun and economic level, Alex mastered the fuel efficiency of a Prius, arriving home with a 52-mpg average. While he has yet to select a University, many a student told him they hoped to “see you at CU” next year!

Posted in Adventures!